H.C 373 8s 7s (FE 606)
1. THROUGH the night of doubt and sorrow
Onward goes the pilgrims band
Singing songs of expectation
Marching to the promised land.
2. Clear before us through the darkness
Gleams and burns the guiding light
Brother clasps the hand of brother
Stepping fearless through the night.
3. One the light of God’s own presence
O'er His ransonmed people shed
Chasing far the gloom and terror
Brightening all the path we tread.
4. One the object of our journey
One the faith which never tires
One the earnest looking forward
One the hope our God inspires.
5. One the strain that lips of thousand
Lift as from the heart of one
One the conflict, one the peril
One the march in God begun.
6. One the gladness of rejoicing
On the far eternal shore
Where the one almighty Father
Reigns in love for evermore.
7. Onward therefore, pilgrim brothers
Onward with the Cross our aid!
Bear its shame, and fight its battle
Till we rest beneath its shade.
8. Soon shall come the great awaking
Soon the tending of the tomb
Then the scattering of all shadows
And the end of toil and gloom. Amen